Friday, October 26, 2012

Homeopathic Cough Syrup


This is a post previously published in December of 2008 I thought I would recycle as it pertains to a great flu season remedy.  I'm happy to report that the 2 preschoolers are now solidly into elementary; colds and flus rarely get us down; but when they do, this homeopathic cough syrup is still a favorite!  


I have 2 preschoolers and one thing you can count on in the fall is the start of cold season. There will be coughing, runny noses, and all kinds of yuck. I went many years with hardly a cold, but now with mini Petri dishes running around my house, I’m good for several good cold bouts. I caught a good one a couple of weeks ago that involved lots of coughing and not sleeping and found myself wandering around a CVS store of all places for help. I’m really excited about a new product I discovered there and want to tell you about it. It’s a homeopathic cough syrup made by a company called Boiron. They call it Children’s Chestal.

As I move toward a healthier lifestyle I’ve tried to avoid using over the counter remedies whenever I can. Many over the counter remedies simply suppress symptoms which are the body’s natural way of telling you there is a problem. Besides that, let’s face it, if most cough syrups were tested side by side with a sip of water, the water would win. They just don’t work.

I’ve recently been introduced to and love Homeopathics. These are natural substances that strengthen the body and allow it to resist bacteria and viruses and fight off colds, flu, and etc. I’m sure I will be talking more about these wonderful products over time.

Anyway, this syrup has 10 different homeopathics in it. I looked them up in my homeopathic book here at home and they all help the body fight off colds and flu and particularly those associated with coughs. I tried the syrup for two nights and I have to tell you, I slept like a baby. I felt rested in the morning and didn’t wake up coughing once.

I hear those in naturopathy talk about how they never get sick and how they rarely if ever go to the doctor. I hope as I head down this road to better health that one day I will be able to say the same thing. In the meantime, it’s nice to have a good natural remedy standing by when I need it.




Karla

3 comments:

Amy said...

Does homeopathic automatically mean "natural?" If I find a homeopathic "medicine" will that mean it doesn't have any added colors or dyes or chemicals bad for my kids?
Or is this kind of like reading food labels? Just because it says "natural" or "pure" doesn't mean it's organic or doesn't have white refined sugar added...

Unknown said...

Hi Amy! Thanks so much for your comment and joining us on our blog.

Homeopathy is defined as a system of "medicine" that seeks to cure in accordance with natural laws of healing and uses "medicines" made from natural substances; animal, vegetable, and mineral.

I use quotations because I don't want homeopathic "medicines" to be confused at all with pharmaceuticals.

Homeopathics are natural substances that support your body in healing itself. Unlike over the counter medicines which most of the time just suppress symptoms and don't really get at the root of the problem.

Each homeopathic treats a specific set of symptoms, for instance, in this cough syrup there is a homeopathic, Bryonia. Bryonia comes from a flower and treats this picture: "irritable, wants to be left alone, fever, headache, sore throat, stomach upset; the person feels worse from the slightest movement and is very thirsty."

The cough syrup contains 10 different homeopathics, the most common ones when a cough is present.

I hope this answers your question. I've just scratched the surface in my knowledge of homeopathy and hope to continue to learn more as I think it's a very interesting field and a great way to look at natural healing.

Unknown said...


I really wana thank you for providing such informative and qualitative material so often.



naturopathic doctor

This blog is for informational purposes only. Nothing in this blog is intended to replace the advice of a physician. We recommend consulting a physician before embarking on diet changes or a fitness routine. In addition, we recommend that you thoroughly research alternate points of view and make your own decisions as an informed consumer. You are ultimately responsible for your health.